The Polk County Bar Association partners with ARAG each year to give Polk County area students a chance to get creative with the law as part of our annual Law Day celebration. Students in grades K through 12 are invited to compete in the visual arts, music, essay and poetry categories.
Law Day has been celebrated since 1958 when President Dwight Eisenhower signed the proclamation declaring it a day to celebrate and strengthen the American heritage of liberty, justice and equality under the law.
Each year the American Bar Association chooses a theme for Law Day to help foster education and a deeper understanding of the legal system. This year’s theme, The Fourteenth Amendment: Transforming American Democracy, provides the opportunity for students to explore the many ways that the Fourteenth Amendment has reshaped American law and society. Through its Citizenship, Due Process and Equal Protection clauses, this transformative amendment advanced the rights of all Americans. It also played a pivotal role in extending the reach of the Bill of Rights to the states. Ratified during Reconstruction a century and a half ago, the Fourteenth Amendment serves as the cornerstone of landmark civil rights legislation, the foundation for numerous federal court decisions protecting fundamental rights, and a source of inspiration for all those who advocate for equal justice under law.
All students in grades 6-12 in the Polk County area are welcome and encouraged to participate in the annual PCBA-ARAG contest. The deadline for entries is April 10. Click on the links below for complete details and entry procedures.
Past Law Day Celebrations
- Download the Awards ceremony Powerpoint presentation
- Download the Luncheon program and see the entries
- See the photo album
- Download the Awards Luncheon PowerPoint presentation
- Download the Awards Luncheon program and see the winning entries
- See the photo album
- View photos of the 2014 Law Day winners and awards banquet
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2014 winning entries
- Law Day winners news release
- ARAG Competition winners
- View photos of the 2013 winners and speakers.
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2013 winning entries.
- Download the news release.
- View photos of the 2012 winners and speakers
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2012 Law Day winning entries.
- Listen to “The Watchman’s Daugher,” music and lyrics by Samantha Greer
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2011 Law Day winning entries.
- View photos of the 2011 event.
If you are a teacher and would like to request a lawyer to speak to your class about Law Day, contact the PCBA.